Monday, April 13, 2015

Correction of an article that's floating around

There was some great press about the report I wrote two months ago on metropolitan change. However, one article making the rounds says some things I would not want to say. I've contacted the author, but haven't heard back from her, so I wanted to post my corrections somewhere.

I hasten to say that it is not entirely her fault - I talked to her on the phone for quite a while in a loud room and I'm sure I didn't communicate well.

"Luke Juday grew up in a spacious house in a quiet suburb. But at age 25 he and nearly all his friends live small in urban apartments. And they intend to never move to suburbia."

Not sure if I gave that impression or not, but, while many of my friends do live in central city neighborhoods, they don't all live in small apartments. Given the housing stock here in Charlottesville, lots of people live in shared houses or townhouses. Plenty of people would also argue that Charlottesville can't be said to have any truly legitimate "urban neighborhoods." I live in a big old house in the middle of the city that I share with a bunch of guys. Coincidentally, it sits on a pretty large lot.

I also did not say that I "never plan to move to the suburbs," though I said I had no plans to currently. In fact I said there are more families staying in the city than there were in the past generation, but most will probably still move out eventually.

I'm also quoted as saying that it's a "major cultural shift." In the report I say that it "may be partially due to a cultural shift," but I think more of the factors are economic and have to do with housing age, price, debt situations, and schools. I also think the rising marriage age and low fertility are big drivers. 

There is always a cyclical pattern of young adults moving into cities, then moving back out to the suburbs when they have kids. My generation won't be any different. What's notable (and what the charts I made show) is that a larger percentage of young adults are moving into city centers than in past generations. They're also staying longer. That means a pretty significant "youthification" of cities, but it doesn't mean they'll "never" move out to the suburbs.

Finally, there was this gem:

“The suburbs are extremely boring,” he said.
I said that there is a perception at this age that the suburbs are "boring," but I wouldn't say myself that "the suburbs are extremely boring."